Updated - Jun 1st, 2021
On the couch. On your counter. In your car. For pet owners the world over, stray pet hair and fur are simply part of life. Whether you own a Maltese, a Maine Coon, or anything along the spectrum of fur, you’ve doubtless encountered shedding and flyaways from your furry friend. It’s perfectly normal. In fact, shedding is an important part of your pet’s natural hair-growth cycle.
There are many different types of pet hairs and coats, hair-growth cycles, and shedding patterns. For the most part, these vary – unsurprisingly – by animal type, and then even further by breed. For example, Siberian Huskies shed significantly due to a thick undercoat, while Poodles may take several years to reach the hair shedding stage of their hair-growth cycle.
At the end of the day, regardless of how long your pet’s fur grows, how often it falls out, and how much of it you find yourself shaking off of your sweaters, shedding serves one central purpose: To get rid of dead or unnecessary hair. In most cases, hair that has reached – and can no longer surpass – its genetically determined length.
Handling pet hair at home
These days, we’re all spending more time at home, and if your pet hair is beginning to get a bit out of hand – beyond what your lint roller and dust buster can manage – you may want to consider something more powerful. We’ve rounded up some of the best vacuums for pet hair below, but when it comes to choosing which one is right for you, here are some of the most important factors to keep in mind:
- Size. Pet hair vacuums can range from hand-sized to multiple feet in length. The size of the pet hair vacuum you choose to purchase may depend on your storage capacity, as well as how much pet hair you’ll need to tend to – and how often. Size isn’t necessarily an indicator of power, but the two can be correlated. Be sure to do your research about what sized vacuum you’ll need, and ensure you have adequate space for it before you bring it home.
- Price. Pet hair vacuums can range dramatically in price. In the list below, you’ll find options from anywhere between $30 and $1,000 – and we’ve curated the total list quite a bit (for your convenience). When determining which pet hair vacuum fits your bill, be sure to account for your budget. But keep in mind, while some of the most powerful vacuums are on the pricier side, you don’t have to sacrifice quality for savings. The key to shed-free success is finding the best option that fits your budget, and that’s just what this guide can help you to do.
- Power. The necessary power of your personal pet hair vacuum all depends on how much fur you’re dealing with on a daily basis – and how thick it is. In general, powerful vacuums tend to be better options. They typically clean faster, pose fewer problems, and can better equip you to handle unexpected situations – fur-related or otherwise. That’s why all of the vacuums on this list are of premium power – ready to take on pet hair patrol as soon as you take them out of the box.
- Cord. Corded or cordless? The question plagues pet hair vacuum buyers everywhere. The truth of the matter is it’s a simple matter of preference – but it can greatly impact your search. Many brands will only make one version of each model, meaning that if you find your ideal pet hair vacuum, but you’re set on cordless and you didn’t structure your search around it, you could be out of luck. Decide where you stand on the topic – and whether or not it’s a dealbreaker for you – before you seek out your new vacuum. We’ve included our top options for both in the list below.
Now that we’ve covered the basics of buying a new pet hair vacuum, it’s time to get to business. Here is Pumpkin’s official roundup of the best pet hair vacuums of 2020 – including all you need to know about how much they cost, their top features and benefits, and where you can find them.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links at no additional cost to you. We may earn commissions from Amazon or other vendors through these links. As an Amazon Associate, Pumpkin earns commissions from qualifying purchases.
1. Dyson Ball Animal 2 ($499.99)
The Chihuahua of vacuums, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 pet vacuum cleaner is a small and mighty force. Specially engineered to deep clean homes with pets, the vacuum’s head digs deep into carpet fibers – capturing dust, allergens, animal hair, and ground-in dirt alike. Versatile and flexible, the single head works on hardwood floors in addition to carpets. Easy, compact storage means you and your pets have more room to play – and the Tangle-Free Turbine Tool removes pet fur on upholstery without tangling it into knots. From hard-to-reach couch corners to tight staircases and tiny pet beds, the vacuum’s counter-rotating brush heads remove hair with speed and precision – without the hassle of it wrapping around a brush bar. Fun fact? Bobbi Brown uses this vacuum to clean the rooms of her pet-friendly hotel, The George.
Other notable features:
- Clear canister for maximum visibility and power visualization
- Washable lifetime filter HEPA filtration system removes 99.9% of allergens
Purchase the Dyson Ball Animal 2 directly at Dyson.com.
2. Shark Navigator® Zero-M® Pet Pro ($249.99)
The Shark Navigator® Zero-M® Self-Cleaning Brushroll Pet Pro upright pet hair vacuum is designed for continuous at-home pet hair removal. Its signature innovation – the Zero-M self-cleaning brushroll – transforms the vacuum into a low maintenance tool perfect for those with particularly furry friends. The self-cleaning vacuum picks up dust and allergen, embedded debris, and the most stubborn of pet hair off of both carpets and floors. The Shark Navigator® Zero-M® Pet Pro is lightweight, ideal for pet owners with maneuverability and portability in mind, and it boasts 12 feet of total reach, making a great option for those with larger, more expansive spaces and to keep clean.
Other notable features:
- 3XL capacity for lengthier cleaning sessions with less dust cup emptying
- Anti-Allergen Complete Seal Technology® and a HEPA filter trap dust and allergens
- An integrated extendable hose (12 feet of total reach) for hard-to-reach areas
- Swivel Steering capabilities for better control
Purchase the Shark Navigator® Zero-M® Pet Pro directly at Sharkclean.com.
3. BISSELL® Pet Hair Eraser® Corded Handheld Vacuum ($36.99)
Need a small, handheld pet hair vacuum that gets the job done in minutes? The BISSELL® Pet Hair Eraser® Corded Handheld Vacuum might be the right fit for you. This petite pet-fur vacuum looks gentle on the outside, but it collects hair and fur with powerful suction and seamless maneuverability. Weighing in at four pounds, it’s perfect for quick pet clean-ups anywhere, anytime. Despite its small stature, the BISSELL® Pet Hair Eraser® has a 16’ cord, and an ever-convenient handheld design and grip. Whether you’re preparing your home a new puppy or cleaning up after your aging cat, it’s a valuable vacuum addition for any pet owner.
- Bagless design
- Interchangeable hard and flexible rubber nozzles
- HEPA media filter and screen
- Easy-grip handle with fingertip-accessible on/off switch
- 1-year manufacturer’s warranty
The BISSELL® Pet Hair Eraser® Corded Handheld Vacuum is currently out of stock on Bissell.com. You can purchase it on Amazon.com, or depending on your location, through free in-store pickup at Bed Bath & Beyond.
4. Hoover® PowerDrive™ Pet Upright Vacuum ($214.99 on Hoover, $149.00 on Amazon)
If the Dyson Ball Animal 2 is a Chihuahua, The Hoover® PowerDrive™ Pet Upright Vacuum is a Boxer. This highly rated powerhouse is perfect for pet owners looking to tackle stubborn, hard-to-pick-up pet hair or fur, at a more affordable price. It’s called the Hoover® PowerDrive™ for a reason – the vacuum can reach up to 11 Amps, 120 Volts, 1320 Watts, and holds an XL capacity dirt cup – meaning you can pick up more pet hair, more powerfully, with less cleaning required for you. The vacuum’s swivel head and steering features allow you to work around bulky furniture and tight spaces, making it an all-in-one solution for pet-hair cleaning success.
Other notable features:
- Advanced Action™ Brush Roll deal with embedded dirt and reduce hair wrap
- Multi-floor cleaning for the whole house
- Quick release cleaning wand that allows you to move between surfaces without losing suction
The Hoover® PowerDrive™ Pet Upright Vacuum is currently unavailable for purchase on Hoover.com, but you can find it at Amazon.com for a reduced price.
5. Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Cord-Free Vacuum ($499.99)
If you’ve done any research on cordless pet hair vacuums, you may know It can be tricky to find a large vacuum with cordless capabilities. But if that’s what’s calling your name, we have an answer for you: The Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Cord-Free Vacuum. This vacuum has a big bin – 40% larger than its preceding model – fit to clean up after big animals and big shedders alike. Cord-free, it can seamlessly transform into a handheld vacuum, empowering you to tackle pet hair in the car, in the carrier, and anywhere else you and your pet may go when you’re on the move. Powerful suction and a motor housed inside the brush bar allow for greater, more efficient torque and energy transfer – pushing nylon deep into the carpet to drive out dirt and other messes. This vacuum is perfect for those on high alert pet hair patrol, sustaining up to 60 minutes of fade-free power.
Other notable features:
- Incles a wall-mounted recharging dock
- Features 14 cyclones that drive microscopic particles into the bin
- Keeps noise levels down by absorbing vibrations
- Works on all surfaces
6. Eureka FloorRover Dash Lightweight Upright Vacuum ($159)
The Eureka FloorRover Dash Lightweight Upright Vacuum offers pet-owners a large, upright vacuum that’s still lightweight – and surprisingly powerful. Its single, oversized wheel is designed for advanced swiveling, maximum maneuverability, and sustained suction across all floor types – carpeted, bare, or other. In short? It’s a light vacuum that offers a deep clean – and it’s as smart as upright vacuums can get. The Eureka FloorRover Dash contains automatic height adjustment technology that can detect different floor types as they change, and automatically adjusts to clean every corner.
Other notable features:
- Included accessories consist of a pet turbo brush, an extra-long crevice tool, and a dusting brush.
- The detachable handle can be connected directly to the stretch hose – up to 12 feet of above-floor cleaning a breeze.
- Multi-cyclone filtration system + standard washable HEPA filter
- Bagless design
- Capacity Volume of 1.4 L
7. Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine ($999)
The Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine Vacuum is about as luxury as canister pet-hair vacuums can get. Optimized for residences with cats and dogs, the vacuum’s construction and design are decidedly pet-centered. Shockingly quiet, the vacuum doesn’t just stifle the sound of its own motor – it keeps your pets from barking (or hissing) at it from across the room. Its extra-wide brush head is powered by its own motor, removing pet hair, fur, and even dander from all surfaces and floor types.
As a luxury vacuum, the Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine offers something that many of its competitors do not: Premium cleanliness and comfort. With user comfortability in mind, the maximum-suction power vacuum features convenient foot controls that save you from needing to bend over to adjust the power. Plus, a specially designed comfort handle makes for easier handling. The highly flexible, twistable floorhead makes for seamless, low-labor vacuuming, and the high suction power (1200 Watts) continues even when the dust bag is full so you never have to re-clean up a mess. When you’re done, a single-touch footswitch control rewinds the entire comfort cable tightly and securely, lickety-split.
The comfort and convenience doesn’t end there. A luxury vacuum for a luxury home, the Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine keeps you and your pets’ space accounted for at all times. Its specially designed air-filtration system ensures that all hairs and odors stay safely contained within the vacuum – neutralizing unpleasant scents with a Miele Active AirClean filter. Its five-level height adjustment works for the full range of floor types in your home, offering a separate parquet floor brush for cleaning tile and wood with extra care. No matter which room you’re cleaning, the vacuum always protects your furniture and walls – coated in a plastic strip to prevent any scratches from accidental collisions.
Other notable features:
- The following accessories are included in the box when you purchase a Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine vacuum:
- Parquet Twister Floorhead
- Handheld Mini Turbo Brush
- Electro Plus Floorhead
- Upholstery nozzle
- Crevice nozzle
- Dusting brush with synthetic bristles
The Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine Vacuum is currently backordered on Miele.com, but is still available for purchase. For faster delivery, it’s available at Williams-sonoma.com for the same price.
8. Samsung POWERbot™ R7260 Pet Plus Robot Vacuum (Currently $549, Marked Down From $899)
Corded, cordless, or robotic? The Samsung POWERbot™ R7260 Pet Plus Robot Vacuum defies the standards of typical pet hair vacuums, allowing you to clean up your in-home pet fur hands-free with up to 20W suction. With wifi-connectivity, a FullView Sensor™, and Visionary Mapping™ Plus technology, the POWERbot™ cleans your space – scanning its way around your home to avoid obstacles – powerfully and fast. The robot also features the self-cleaning, soft-action brush, automatically detangling and removing any pet hair that gets stuck within its internal bristles. If you want the most pet hair removal with the least maintenance and cleaning involved, you may want to consider this robot vacuum – and hand-off pet hair patrol altogether.
Other notable features:
- Intelligent power controls automatically detect surface types to select the ideal suction power
- Automatically returns to docking stations to recharge and resumes cleaning until job is complete
- Large wheels easily overcome obstacles like wires, rugs, door frames, and more
- Remote control included to allow for on-demand point cleaning
- Gives spoken updates on cleaning status, errors, and more
- Washable filter makes for easy maintenance
Purchase the Samsung POWERbot™ R7260 Pet Plus Robot Vacuum directly at Samsung.com.
Selecting the pet hair vacuum that speaks to you
So what’ll it be – upright? Canister? Handheld? Corded? Cordless? Robotic? Whichever vacuum speaks to you – whether it’s a quick and effective handheld option for easy everyday clean-ups, a powerhouse pet hair remover for less-frequent deep cleanings, or a lightweight stand-up swiveler that sneaks into tight corners – know that at the end of the day, only you can know which type of vacuum best fits the lifestyle – and pet hair needs – of you and your furry friends. Whatever you decide to purchase and power-up, rest-assured knowing that you’re choosing from some of the very best pet hair vacuums that 2020 has to offer – and fur-free living will never go out of style.
For easy access to purchasing (or for further fun-filled perusing) – here’s a list of links to the top eight pet hair vacuums lists above:
- Dyson Ball Animal 2 ($499.99)
- Shark Navigator® Zero-M® Self-Cleaning Brushroll Pet Pro ($249.99)
- BISSELL® Pet Hair Eraser® Corded Handheld Vacuum ($36.99)
- Hoover® PowerDrive™ Pet Upright Vacuum ($149)
- Dyson Cyclone V10 Animal Cord-Free Vacuum ($499.99)
- Eureka FloorRover Dash Lightweight Upright Vacuum ($159)
- Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog PowerLine Vacuum ($999)
- Samsung POWERbot™ R7260 Pet Plus Robot Vacuum (Currently $549)