Frequently Asked Questions
Whether you’re considering Pumpkin or already have a plan with us, this is a great place to get answers to commonly asked questions
Don't see your question?
We're here to help.
What is Pumpkin?
Pumpkin Insurance Services Inc. is a pet health company and insurance agency that helps families give their dogs and cats the best veterinary care possible through best-in-class pet insurance and preventive care.
Pumpkin offers pet families:
- Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans – extensive dog and cat insurance plans that cover 90% of eligible veterinary expenses for accidents & illnesses.
- Pumpkin Preventive Essentials – unique wellness packages for dogs, cats, and puppies that fully refund routine wellness care pets need to stay healthy. Preventive Essentials is not insurance, but an optional benefit you can easily add to any Pumpkin insurance plan.
Can I retrieve a past quote on your website?
Yes! If you followed the prompts to enter your name, email address, and zip code when you created your plan online, you’ll receive an email from Pumpkin with a link to retrieve your saved quote at any time.
Do you have a mobile app?
No, but our website is 100% mobile-optimized and accessible from your desktop, tablet, or smartphone!
How do Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans work?
It’s easy – just follow these 3 simple steps:
- When your pet is sick or hurt, take them to any licensed veterinarian in the U.S. or Canada for treatment, and pay as usual when you leave.
- Log in to your account on pumpkin.care to file a claim for any eligible veterinary expenses. Simply follow the prompts to enter your claim details, upload a copy or photo of your itemized vet bill + any relevant medical records, and hit submit! It’s fast, easy, and 100% digital.
- Your claim will be processed quickly and you’ll be reimbursed via check or direct deposit for 90% of covered costs up to the annual limit, after your annual deductible has been met.
Will my vet accept a Pumpkin Pet Insurance plan?
Unlike a human health insurance HMO, your Pumpkin Pet Insurance plan’s coverage isn’t limited to a “network” of health care providers. Since you get paid back directly, your pet is free to receive treatment from any licensed veterinarian, specialist, emergency clinic or hospital you choose in the U.S. or Canada!
What do Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans cover?
Do Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans cover spaying and neutering?
Do Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans cover dental?
How do Pumpkin Pet Insurance plans handle pre-existing conditions?
Like most pet insurance plans, Pumpkin plans don’t cover “pre-existing conditions” that occur or show symptoms before coverage starts or during a waiting period. However, if a pre-existing condition is curable (e.g., UTI, paw fracture), was cured, and has been free of symptoms and treatment for 180 days, Pumpkin plans would cover it if it occurs again in the future, with the exception of knee & hind leg ligament conditions. If a knee or hind leg ligament condition occurs prior to the day after you purchase your Pumpkin plan or during the waiting period, any future ones won’t be covered.
It’s important to note that not all pet insurances will cover eligible cured pre-existing conditions that occur again in the future, so this is definitely a plus with Pumpkin insurance plans.
All that said, having an incurable pre-existing condition, or a knee or hind leg ligament condition, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t join the Pumpkin pack! You can always enroll your pet and get covered for new conditions that develop down the road. Have questions? Call us at 1‑866‑ARF‑MEOW (1‑866‑273‑6369) or email [email protected].
Do you offer a discount for multiple pets?
Yes! We know pet care can be expensive – especially when you have more than one fur baby to budget for. Unlike some other pet insurance plans out there, Pumpkin offers a 10% Fur Family Discount! That means you get 10% off a plan for each additional pet you enroll.