Can Dogs Eat Cantaloupe?

Written By
3 min read
3 min read

Updated - Dec 1st, 2022

The short answer is yes, your dog can enjoy a piece of cantaloupe every once in a while. This superfood offers multiple health benefits for your dog if fed in moderation.

Cantaloupe health benefits for dogs

Cantaloupe is a low-calorie, high-fiber fruit filled with nutrients such as:  

  • Vitamin A 
  • Vitamin C
  • Powerful antioxidants that fight free-radicals 
  • Minerals like potassium, niacin, and folate that support the immune system, organ function, ligaments, bones, and muscles. 

The high water content and dietary fiber found in cantaloupe also promotes healthy digestion while reducing risk of constipation and dehydration. But like any fruit, cantaloupe contains high sugar content compared to other foods, so it should be consumed in moderation.

Best ways to feed your dog cantaloupe

Hand-fed pieces: Offer cantaloupe cut up into small pieces. Offer it as a hydrating snack on hot summer days or when your dog needs a healthy snack.

Smoothies: Try mixing the fruit with other fruits like strawberries, mango, apricots, and plain Greek yogurt for a refreshing doggy smoothie.

Nutritious sorbet: Frozen, pureed cantaloupe makes a great pup sorbet, too! Add a few blueberries and cranberries, or dog-friendly veggies, and you have a pup-worthy snack loaded with healthy antioxidants.


Can my dog eat the cantaloupe rind?

Like watermelon rind, the cantaloupe rind is too fibrous for your dog’s digestive system. If ingested, the rind could cause an intestinal blockage or gastrointestinal upset. Cut the rinds off and only offer the inside fruit to your dog.

Can my dog eat cantaloupe seeds?

Unlike the seeds of other fruits, such as apples for example, cantaloupe seeds are not toxic to dogs. If your dog ingests a few seeds, it’s relatively harmless, but overdoing it may cause intestinal upset.

Can diabetic dogs or overweight dogs eat cantaloupe?

Cantaloupe has a high sugar content that may put diabetic dogs at risk for high blood sugar. Overweight dogs risk gaining weight and becoming obese from eating too much. Always check with your veterinarian before offering any human food to your dogs.

Can I give my dog a slice of cantaloupe?

Large chunks of cantaloupe present a choking hazard for any dog, especially small dogs. Cutting it up into bite-sized pieces can help eliminate this risk.

How much cantaloupe can my dog eat in a day?

A cup of cantaloupe chunks contains 8 grams of sugar and 53 calories. Any treat should only comprise 10% of your dog’s diet. The remaining 90% should be nutritious dog food. For this reason, consider cantaloupe an occasional snack for your dog, not an everyday treat.

Whenever you offer your dog a new food, watch for signs of upset stomach, diarrhea, or constipation. If this happens, don’t offer it again.

Bottom line – sharing a bite of cantaloupe with your dog every once in a while is okay so long as it’s prepared and offered properly.


Foods that are safe for humans to eat can sometimes be poisonous to pets. Always ask your veterinarian if you're ever unsure whether or not a food is safe for your pet to consume. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information. Keep in mind that this article is meant to be educational and shouldn't be used as a replacement for professional medical or dietary advice.

Lynn Guthrie

Lynn Guthrie

Writer, Mom of a Fab Fur Fam of Five
Lynn is a writer and long-time Learning & Development Manager at a large PNW retailer. She's also mom to 3 dogs & 2 cats!
Back to Top Back to Top