Can Dogs Eat Pineapple?

Written By
3 min read
3 min read

Updated - Oct 15th, 2022

Yes, pineapple is safe for dogs to eat so long as it’s served in reasonable portions. This tangy fruit can be a great addition to your dog’s diet, especially if they have skin allergies. Read on to find out why.

Health benefits of pineapple for dogs

Pineapple is a very nutrient-dense fruit that can help support your dog’s immune system and digestive system. It’s filled with powerful antioxidants and minerals including:

  • Manganese
  • Copper
  • Potassium
  • Magnesium
  • Iron
  • Small amounts of calcium, phosphorus, and zinc

Pinapple also contains bromelain – aka nature’s histamine! This group of enzymes has anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial benefits that can be especially helpful to dogs with skin issues.

Ways to feed your pooch pineapple

  • Hand-fed bits: If cut into tiny bits, you can hand feed your dog fresh pieces of pineapple.
  • Frozen: Frozen pineapple cut into small bits can be a cool, hydrating treat on a hot summer day.
  • Pureed pineapple: Puree pineapple and mix into food or freeze pureed pineapple in ice-cube trays for another hydrating treat.

Pet Pro Tip: If you have a dog that is prone to ‘snacksidents’ – you should consider getting a dog insurance plan as soon as possible. It can help you afford the best care in the future by covering eligible vet bills for digestive illnesses, toxic ingestion, and more.


Are all parts of the pineapple safe for dogs to eat?

Only the soft inner fruit is safe for your dog to eat. Both the spiky skin and hard inner pineapple core can cause an intestinal blockage or choking issue.

Does pineapple have too much sugar for my dog?

Pineapple has high sugar content, so it should be served sparingly. Even a small amount could negatively affect dogs with diabetes or obesity. Your vet is the best person to advise you on this front.

How will I know if my dog eats too much pineapple?

Dog treats or snacks should only make up 10% of your dog’s daily diet, the other 90% should be their dog food. If your dog eats too much pineapple, gastrointestinal issues such as straining to poop, vomiting, or diarrhea can occur. If you notice any of these symptoms after your dog eats pineapple, stop offering it and consult with your vet.

Can dogs eat canned pineapple?

While dogs technically can eat canned pineapple, you’re better off feeding your dog fresh pineapple. Most canned pineapple products have unnecessary added sugars that can damage your dog’s health.

Will pineapple stop my dog from eating poop?

This unappealing behavior is called coprophagia, and is a pretty common phenomenon with dogs. While there is no scientific evidence that feeding your dog pineapple will stop this problem, the idea is that the pineapple will make a dog’s poop smell strange and deter them from eating it. While it can’t hurt to try, most vets will tell you that the most effective way to discourage your dog from eating poop is to clean it up immediately, leaving no poop available to ingest.

In sum, pineapple can be a great snack for your pooch so long as you exercise portion control and cut it up into small bits. Like any human food, moderation is key when feeding your dog pineapple. When in doubt, your veterinarian is your best advocate should you have any questions about your dog’s diet.


Foods that are safe for humans to eat can sometimes be poisonous to pets. Always ask your veterinarian if you're ever unsure whether or not a food is safe for your pet to consume. They will be able to provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information. Keep in mind that this article is meant to be educational and shouldn't be used as a replacement for professional medical or dietary advice.

Lynn Guthrie

Lynn Guthrie

Writer, Mom of a Fab Fur Fam of Five
Lynn is a writer and long-time Learning & Development Manager at a large PNW retailer. She's also mom to 3 dogs & 2 cats!
Back to Top Back to Top